Picked up a used trans. Need help refreshing it

• Login or Register, members don't see Ads!
  • Tip: You can toggle the Dark Theme at the bottom of the page

zmon1300

Corporal
Nov 3, 2016
Chicagoland
Hey guys,

My current trans on my 93k mile 335xi does not hold 5th gear anymore. I abused that trans for about 50k miles. It was either on Alpina flash or xHP stg3 OTS tune. I recently picked up a 44k mile trans from a local part out and got a trans cooler core and lines. I wanted to ask what things I need to do to refresh it make it ready for 600awhp?

I did some researching and came up with the following things that I should replace:
Trans pan/filter
trans pan/filter gasket
Trans oil
Mechatronic sleeve]
Sonax Zip Kit

Are there any other things I should replace to get it ready for my car? Also, what trans fluid would be best in this case? What kind of inline T-stat should I get for the trans cooler?

Thanks
Z

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
The factory Pentosin or whatever it is seems to always be the best fluid from what I've seen. For the T Stats you've got several options, but a lot of guys go with the Improved Racing 90/10 tstat.

zmon1300

Corporal
Nov 3, 2016
Chicagoland
FCPeuro sell a mechatronics service kit with all fluids and seals needed for servciser the job. Your list is missing lots of things!!!
I looked up the service kit on FCPEuro which was $385. I bascially have all those parts already. But instead of plastic sleeves, I found a few of them that are aluminum which should help with longevity. The pan, filter, gasket, D4 fluid, and the sleeve bits I already have ready.

zmon1300

Corporal
Nov 3, 2016
Chicagoland
The factory Pentosin or whatever it is seems to always be the best fluid from what I've seen. For the T Stats you've got several options, but a lot of guys go with the Improved Racing 90/10 tstat.
Yeah I picked up a I.R. 165 Tstat for the trans and a 210 Tstat for the oil cooler

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.